Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Tuesday Before...


What do you do on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving? I'm sure that, for most of you, there is no standard answer to that question. For me, it comes down to a place that I love to be - a place that I visit many times throughout the year. The place is Lancaster's Central Market, and that annual Tuesday in November is, without a doubt, my favorite day to be there. It is the oldest continuously run farmers market in the country, and the pulse of Lancaster city. It is opened every Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, with the exception of holidays. You can find it in a brick alleyway, just off the town square, in the heart of everything. The red Romanesque structure stands out as a beacon to all in search of the foods that make an event, or a cozy evening at home, something special. I love going there the Tuesday before Thanksgiving because, to me, it signifies the beginning of the holiday season. The hustle and bustle of folks picking out a fresh Thanksgiving Day turkey, some homegrown squash, or a sweet potato pie, is an exciting and comforting tradition that I look forward to year after year. The vibrant color of the produce and the smell of the freshly brewed coffees help to tie the whole experience together.

In addition to all the holiday treats available at Central Market, you can find almost anything your heart desires, edible or otherwise. To keep the pizazz in my cooking, I am able to buy freshly ground spices in just the amount I want, preventing them from becoming stale. Just picked produce can be made into juice, or a smoothie, upon request. If I'm in the mood for focaccia bread or a loaf of rye, I know just the stand to visit for fresh from the oven goodness. Just caught seafood on ice, freshly made yogurt or goat cheese, organic chocolate, homemade baklava, and a gorgeous array of flowers, are just a few of the items available for purchase.

Despite the fact that I have to work on Thanksgiving this year, I will still be at my favorite place the Tuesday before. I won't be making a meal on "turkey day", but when I go to market two days prior, I will be selecting some cranberry orange relish to send along with my family as they travel to share the traditional meal with relatives. I will also pick up some dinner rolls and a few fragrant spices to use in the dessert I plan to bake the night before. Another item on my list will be pumpkin in the form of a colorful puree that will be cooked down and pressed through a food mill just hours before market's early morning opening.

Pumpkin is delicious, and because of it's intense nutritional value, it is now known as a super food. It is the perfect ingredient in all types of main dishes and desserts, especially at this time of year, as it evokes the thoughts and flavors of a cool crisp fall day. For me the fall season, and in particular Thanksgiving, just wouldn't be the same without some of that orange puree working it's way into at least one or two dishes. When pumpkin stands in as a vegetable, you may occasionally hear a negative comment, but incorporate it into a dessert, and there is rarely a protest from anyone. It is one of those dishes that unifies a dining room full of guests with the anticipation of a wonderful conclusion.

I realized while writing this blog that I had developed a craving for something pumpkin. I have a recipe that is quick and easy to make without a lot of bowls to wash, or equipment to put away. I have made this recipe at various times in the past, especially in the moments of pumpkin desire that I once again found myself experiencing. I am referring to a pumpkin sheet cake that is moist and delicious. It is not a fancy dessert, but exactly the thing to make when you want a solid snack or after dinner treat. You might even find yourself thinking about it for a quick breakfast, in which case, the word fancy just might be the correct adjective to use after all. I am giving you the basic recipe, but there are a number of additives that can be folded into the batter to elevate this cake's status such as: golden raisins, chopped nuts, dried cranberries, a small amount of drained crushed pineapple, shredded coconut, or bits of candied ginger. Try one, or a combination of several, for a total makeover...cake edition! This cake is moist enough to stand alone, but top it off with a thin layer of cream cheese frosting, and it will disappear without a trace. I hope this recipe will find it's way into your collection of favorites and that you will love it as much as I do.


PUMPKIN SHEET CAKE

16 ounces of fresh pureed or canned pumpkin
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder


CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

4 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar


Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, and oil together. Add the eggs and again mix until well blended. Combine the dry ingredients together in a separate medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat together until well blended. Pour into a well greased 15x10x1 inch sheet cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minuets.

For the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, mixing after each addition, until all of it is well incorporated. Frost the cake when cooled. Keep refrigerated.
This recipe makes approximately two dozen nice size servings.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing Adam and I our own sample of this delectable cake, my was it scrumptious! I finished it while reading your blog this morning (you were right about it disappearing without a trace). I love your description of Central Market which makes me look forward to my next visit - you will find me at the spice stand! Have a wonderful time next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this blog!!! Did I ever tell you that I am on a see food diet??? I eat all the food I see. Do you have any recipes for this kind of diet?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! Celeste (joey's mom) & Mark here:

    We are going to try this out for a dessert gathering at our house on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete