Thursday, January 7, 2010

Old Man Winter


Winter is in full swing and there is no turning back. The intensity of this year's frigid weather, and its relentless desire to make its presence known, has caused me to go into hibernation mode. I actually have to stop and debate if I really want to go outside when such an occasion arises requiring me to do so. If I can come up with a good reason to stay inside - I do! I have learned that many of the reasons I leave the house are unnecessary and that many of the items I wish to purchase are things I can usually live without. I will be so much better off if I can just hold onto this mindset well beyond the turn of the season in a few months as will be evidenced by the emerging green shoots of the side yard's grape hyacinths peeking through the warming soil of a new spring. In the mean time, as I look out on the stark winter landscape and listen to the wind blowing fiercely through the eaves, I am happy to cuddle up by my fire and read.

I love my house, but one thing it has always lacked is a fireplace. For many years I did not allow my thoughts to settle upon this fact, but with every winter season, it has become harder and harder to ignore my unfilled desire to cozy up by a crackling fire. In fact, several times while day dreaming about laying in front of the radiating warmth of one, I actually picked up the fragrance of seasoned apple wood glowing on the hearth. It was during one of those "periods of craving" years ago that I found an old wooden mantle propped in the dark and musty corner of an antique shop located along a country highway in the Ephrata area. It had a mirror encased in the wood surround and columns on either side of its center shelf. It was beautiful and I called my husband with its dimensions as soon as I had taken them. It was too wide for the space we had envisioned, but as directed, I wrote out a check and told the store owner that I would be back to pick it up later. The next day, after loading it into the truck, it was promptly taken to the shop of a carpenter friend who seamlessly cut it down to fit the space. When it arrived home you would have thought it had always been there. It stayed that way for quite awhile - just a piece of decorative wood attached to the dry wall, but it was the essence of a fireplace long desired and I couldn't have been happier with its contribution to my idea of what a cozy home should contain.

Last fall, after becoming restless with the anticipation of the near approaching winter, I began to look into gas fireplace inserts. It would have to be a custom fit and, after doing some research, I found out that not only did such a thing exist, but that it was indeed possible to install the insert with a slight manipulation of the mantel's placement. The problem was the vent. Since the living room wall was located just behind the brick of the front porch, that big, ugly, metal vent would be in the direct vision of anyone looking at the front of our house. This just seemed too big an obstacle to overcome, and with no creative solutions coming to mind, the whole thing was put on the back burner. Yet another winter would go by, I thought, without the warmth of an internal flame. I accepted the concept like a trooper, not allowing the collapsed idea to add to the depression potential of the post holiday season. I did vow, however, that by the next Christmas season a cheery fire would indeed grace the empty hearth of my barren fireplace.

I'm happy to say that a fire was blazing in my living room this year as we opened our gifts on Christmas morning. Oh...did I mention...it was a fake fire. Earlier this fall, again while spending time in a shop that sold antiques and collectibles, I found a set of old fashioned electric logs. When turned on, I noticed the glow was courtesy of a light bulb, and the crackling sound heard was due the rotation of a tinsel covered rod. I brought the logs home, added a set of andirons and a fireplace screen, and actually "psyched" myself into thinking I had a cozy fire to read by. It worked and for now, anyway, it is my perfect solution!

Having a fireplace is a plus, but our homes are our havens regardless. With God's blessing, staying in after a hot bath to wait out the cold is a universal pleasure most of us have experienced. Even without a fireplace, there are only two things that one really needs to complete a perfect winter's night hibernation session: a good book and something warm and comforting to eat. Recently I read two books that I can highly recommend as I know their content will keep the pages turning. Both "The Secret Life of Bees" (a novel) and "The Gastronomy of Marriage" (a food memoir) are excellent examples of writing and the perfect addition to your reading pleasure. For the required warm and satisfying meal, there are any number of comfort foods that would fit the bill, but for something different and delicious you might want to try my new favorite chili recipe. I found it a few months ago while leafing through an issue of the Relish Magazine insert found occasionally within the confines of my newspaper. With ingredients like leeks, barley, and cumin I was driven to try it. With slight modification I was not disappointed, as its texture and flavor are surprisingly exceptional. With all the negatives the winter season can bring, there are always enough positives to balance things out. A glowing fire in the fireplace, a few good books, and white chicken chili are three of them and enough to make me actually look forward to a cold frosty night - at least once in a while!














WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped leeks or onions
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
1 pound ground turkey sausage (I buy mine fresh and ask the butcher to remove it from its casing if loose sausage is not available)
3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken (white meat)
2 (16oz) cans of garbanzo or white kidney (cannellini) beans, drained
2/3 cup barley
1 (4oz) can of diced jalapenos or green chilies
6 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
4 (and up to 8) cups of chopped kale (also optional, but the taste and nutrition are best not sacrificed)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese for garnish
enough chopped green onions for garnish
dollops of sour cream for garnish


Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat. Add the leeks or onions, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, being careful not to burn or darken them (the garlic will be especially prone to this). Add the cumin, cumin seed, and turkey sausage. Cook over medium heat until the sausage is browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the chicken, beans, barley, peppers, broth, and kale. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes until barley is cooked and the kale reduces in volume considerably. Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped green onion.
Makes approximately 6-8 large servings with the possibility of left overs.

1 comment: